Quantcast

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

bohoMelisa: Workin' on our Fitness {Cardio Burst}

Today we have a guest post from one of our best friends, bohoMelisa. You may have heard about her in previous posts; like here, or here, or here. We've known Melisa for a long time, and I have never met anyone that works out harder than this chick. She has kicked all of our a$$e$ on many occasions, and we always go back for more. She is very motivating, and pushes you to limits you didn't know you could reach, which sometimes results in a dry heave or two, but that's no biggie to her.
She ain't no joke, and neither is this lil workout she is sharing with you. I've done it quite a few times now and it's torture, but in a gooood way! It's the perfect warm-up that also works out that booty-do, so without further ado…………………………..............................……………………………………………………………………….

{bohoMelisa}

I like to work out. I want to sweat profusely, feel like I am about to die and if I throw up at the end that is an added bonus. I completely understand there are few people who want to work out that hard. And for that fact, it has been hard to find a workout partner. I grew up with my dads work philosophy of, "if you have a pulse and functioning legs, there is no reason to stop". Giving up is never an option. Never. EVER.
I stopped working as a pediatric nurse practitioner about a year and a half ago to raise my kids (that's a whole different story). So being the Type A OCD person I am, I needed to direct my energy somewhere else. Working out became my new obsession. I mean, I am a wife and mom of 3 so I only had a couple hours a day to feed this new obsession. This means I had to get in, get 'er done and get out. I am not a trainer, I don't claim to be and I don't want to be. But I have been in the gym enough times, played college sports and am fairly confident with my anatomy and physiology knowledge to workout effectively and efficiently. A short cardio burst to get my heart rate up and then some weights is my routine a couple days a week. The other days I like to do pure cardio for at least 45 minutes. 
Here is a short calorie blasting treadmill workout (a good warm up before weights or more cardio) :
• 30 seconds on a low speed (5-6)
• 30 seconds on a medium speed (6-7)
• 30 seconds on a medium/high speed (6.5-7.5) - this will be your speed for all the hills so will need to be maintained.
• 45 seconds on incline 5 at same medium/high speed
• 15 second recover flat (zero incline) at the same medium/high speed
• 45 seconds on incline 5 at same medium/high speed
• 15 second recover flat (zero incline)
• 45 seconds on incline 7.5 at same medium/high speed
• 15 second recover flat (zero incline)
• 45 seconds on incline 7.5 at same medium/high speed
• 15 second recover flat (zero incline)
• 45 seconds on incline 10 at same medium/high speed
• 15 second recover flat (zero incline) 
• 45 seconds on incline 10 at same medium/high speed
• 15 second recover flat (zero incline) 
Now for speed work!
• 20 seconds - high speed (level 8.5 or more)
• 10 seconds rest - hop off treadmill with feet on the sides
Repeat above speed work x 8
Recover medium speed (level 6-7) for 1 min

Challenge yourself not to stop except for the rest times. If you need to, slow down, but try not to stop. Keep changing up your workouts so you don't get bored and your muscles stay confused!

Here are a few songs that get me pumped up:


So, if you see a girl sweating, looking like death and possibly throwing up at the gym, wave because it might be me! ;)

Just do it,
bohoMelisa

 Melisa and her husband Jacques

No comments:

Post a Comment